From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:22:53 -0800
> It seems that fowl eggs should only be eaten during
> times when you would
> find them in a nest. This obviously would support
> Ken's rotation diet
> suggestion. Only you would be eliminating them
> during certain seasons as
> well.

Brings up some questions I've wondered about in the
past. I have to assume that the large number of eggs a
domestic chicken lays is not "natural", but rather a
product of years of human interaction. But what about
other, wilder birds? Do they lay eggs just once (in a
season, or year, or whatever), or do they mate and lay
eggs more frequently? Do they lay additional eggs if
their first hatch comes up missing (as in "stolen")?
Is it possible that h-g's might have had a continuous
supply of eggs during certain parts of the year - if
they were able to sneak eggs away from the nest,
thereby forcing a new breeding cycle? If so, then eggs
*may* have played a major role in *some* of our
ancestors' diets.