Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:15:27 -0400
Several people on this list have asked about sources for grass fed meat.
Well, Don and I recently went to this site:  www.eatwild.com

We found some names and numbers for farms in our area (within a 2 hour
driving range from our house).  Not only do these farms have grass fed beef,
many have grass/range fed chickens and lambs.

As a result of visiting the site we just ordered three copies of the book by
Jo Robinson *Why Grass Fed is Better*  It gets into the benefits of CLA in
grass fed meat and dairy (which helps with fat loss, protection against
cancer, and a lot more!); higher omega 3 and vitamin E content.  It
documents the fact that in ranged beef, e-coli drops to about nil (compared
to grain fed animals whose digestive flora are totally altered for the
worse, creating the breeding ground for e-coli and other acid resistant
bacteria!).  It talks about range feeding saves money for farmers, is better
for the environment, the consumer, and how it is DO-ABLE for modern farmers!
It's very COOL!!!  The web site mentions a lot of interesting studies world
wide.  Even if you know grass fed is better, you might still learn from it.

We are giving two of the copies of the book away---one to the guy who raised
the hormone free beef we eat; the other to the couple we get some of our
hormone/antibiotic-free poultry from.   I urge list members to buy the book,
or several of them, and give copies to people who raise animals for food and
are in a position to change the way they feed and care for the animals.  You
could also request that your local library add the book to its collection.
You CAN'T get the book through interlibrary loan because it is a new book (I
already tried and the librarian told me about the policy for new books!).
Making requests does help:  I got our local library to carry Sally Fallon's
book, Ray's book (previous edition and new edition, Charles Hunt's book, a
couple of body building books, and then some!

If farmers know that they can save money in raising their animals, have
healthier animals (fewer deaths and vet bills), and have an edge over the
competition (meat, poultry, eggs, with high levels of nutrients that can
help people lose weight, protect themselves from degenerative diseases and
nutritional deficiencies, etc), more of them may be willing to raise their
animals without grains.  It can be very profitable.  It's a win-win thing!

I urge you all to check out the web site and get the book.  Don and I
(freelance writers) plan to do a bunch of articles on this topic for various
magazines!  There is power in numbers---if we educate more people, encourage
more farmers to raise the animals properly, we can help create a greater
demand for these healthier products, which don't necessarily have to cost
more once the farmers get up and running the right way.

Rachel