From:
Matt Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:14:17 -0500
From: "Richard Geller"

>Since they may not be destroyed from heating, what is the
> sense in worrying about it?

> Lots of people eat raw chicken and meat on this list too.
> how apparently harmless trans-species consumption of flesh
> generally is in spite of it.

Hi, Richard,

I quite agree with you and don't worry about it.  Every living organism,
whether it be microbe, plant, or animal has inherent safeguards of one type
or another in place to fend off attacks from marauders that might do them
in.  I do think the commercial food supply has a lot of problems, but that
doesn't stop me from feeding the till at the grocery store.

I can't fathom eating raw chicken, but raw hamburger is mighty tasty.  :-)
My soon-to-be-85-year-old father turned me on to it when I was about 11.   I
wouldn't even think of eating it now, though, because the very nature of
hamburger is that it's an overprocessed meat and been handled and re-handled
several times over with the potential for contamination too great.  I don't
think it's a good idea to challenge my immune system too much. :-)

BTW, there was a really good article about the U.S. food supply in last
month's National Geographic.

Theola