From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:55:16 GMT
In yoga, this is the solar plexus chakra which is connected to all "gut
feelings" (intuition). It supplies energy to the digestive system, and is
the core of our being. The energy balance (associated with the nerves) of
the third (solar plexus) chakra is associated with self-esteem, adequacy,
responsibility, territoriality, or aggression, to name a few. The imbalance
of this energy in the third chakra can be associated with such illnesses as
IBS, heartburn, indigestion, anorexia, and much more. Yoga is a tradition
based on discipline (not religion) which has been practiced for thousands of
years, so it is no surprise that medical science would eventually concur.
This is why phrases we use such as "pain in my ass/neck", "you make me
sick", "this is killing me", or "I can't *hand*le this" can be taken very
literally. Chronic use of these terms (because of a chronic situation) often
exists along with a related condition. For example, someone who "can't
*hand*le" things may have arthritic hands. Someone who is complaining about
something being a chronic "pain in the ass" may suffer from sciatica.
Our brain is distributed throughout our entire body. When you touch a hot
pan, and your nerves tell you that it is hot, you feel pain and quickly
learn how to avoid getting burned. When someone "gets on your nerves", a
similar reaction happens. Some aspect of the relationship must be changed,
in order to avoid "getting burned" again.
All that is true on an emotional level is true on the physical level as
well.
Scientists are claiming to have discovered a second
      brain - in the human stomach.

      <snip>This 'second brain' is made up of a knot of brain nerves
      in the digestive tract. It is thought to involve around 100
      billion nerve cells - more than held in the spinal cord.

      Researchers believe this belly brain may save
      information on physical reactions to mental processes
      and give out signals to influence later decisions. It may
      also be responsible in the creation of reactions such as
      joy or sadness...