From:
shirley sommers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:33:09 -0800
Marilyn,
   What about the few products that are labeled 100% whole grain wheat and that is all there is on the ingredient list as far as grains go ? DH is the only one that eats bread in this house and this is all I will buy.

  Thanks,
  Shirley

Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Philip

These are not "whole grains" in most cases, though. In all commercial
flours the germ has been milled out to leave a far less nutritious product.
The reason for doing this is that the oils in wheat germ will go rancid
*very* quickly and would be toxic to the human system. Therefore flour
producers have to remove it (by law). So all of these products are not made
from complete wheat berries. I used to make bread a couple of years ago, and
ended up buying a flour mill to grind my own because of this.

Marilyn

     Image German Shepherd Dogs
  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/?yguid=140553699