From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:07:30 -0600
Todd > Neanderthin promises that we can exchange one type of restriction --
quantity -- for another -- types of foods.  To those of us who have had to
restrict quantity for decades, this is a *very* seductive promise.  But
it's a false promise nonetheless, for many of us.

Agreed.  Thanks for setting me straight.

Know what else I found in my studies last night?  That I've been giving the
wrong recommendation for weight loss. Ray does not necessarily recommend
the things I mentioned yesterday (and that I've mentioned several other
times in the last few months I've been posting here). Namely, fruits with
low sugar content, fresh squeezed juice, lean meat, nuts, seeds, fatty
fish, MUFA-rich nuts, olive oil and flaxseed oil (although some of these,
such as lean mean and fish, might make sense).  I actually have had what I
thought were weight loss recommendations written down in my Palm Pilot for
the last couple of years and had sort of accepted them uncritically.  But
the reason I originally mistook them for weight loss tips can be found on
page 68, where the section title "Becoming Neanderthin" begins.   By that,
he seems to mean "becoming paleo" rather than "becoming thin."  The
recommendations above come in the pages in that section.

So Ray's word on post-plateau weight loss is to "lower your intake of
high-carbohydrate foods (dried fruits, juices, nuts, etc.) and increase
moderate exercise."  And "adding muscle mass to your body through strength
training will also increase your metabolism and weight loss."