From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:34:19 -0400
Debra Kierstead wrote:

 > Can  anyone suggest the best way for rendering
 >the suet- oven or stove top?

I've always done it on the stove top. Best to chop up the suet into very
small pieces. Start with a small amount of water. Stir often, at least in
the beginning. After a while you can carefully chop the mixture up with a
hand blender. The goal is no more air bubbles, as they are a sign of
moisture still in the mixture. You can save a lot of time filtering it and
then rendering again. The moisture is inside the bits of meat and other
crud. By filtering them out there is less remaining.

 >Is it true that it smells really bad during the rendering?

It smells, but I won't call it that bad.

 >Also I have a lot of the suet so once rendered will it keep at room
 >temperature for a while (i presume so since it will  keep in the pemmican).

I don't see why not, as long as all moisture is out of it.

 >Can i also use the rendered suet for cooking?

I don't see why not.

Don.