From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:02:54 EST
In a message dated 4/2/04 10:19:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
is
as claimed pro-arrhythmic.
Who claims this what to they base this claim on?  My husband has heart
arrhythmia but never gets attacks when we eat coconut oil --which I use frequently
for curries or to cook with.  He does get attacks when he overindulges in dark
chocolate or tea.  Caffeine is the culprit in his case.

When setting one's food regime, one needs to determine what will be the
energy source.  Some do fine with carbs -- hence they do not need much fat in the
diet because carbs provide the energy.  In my case, I cannot handle many carbs,
therefore, I go low-carb and use fat as my energy source.   Saturated fats
(ie coconut oil, cream, butter ) provide the most energy bang for one's
nutritional buck. I get omega-3s in the form of sardines ie the whole fish with skin
and bones intact. I stopped my earlier practice of gobbling tons of fish oil
capsules in addition to oily fish -- I thought that if some is good, more is
better.  Peat and Barry Groves have convinced me otherwise.  I feel some Omega-3s
are beneficial but not mega-grams.  I think it's more important to avoid high
omega-6 vegetable oils.  Anyway, if one wants to eschew most fats, that
person would have to necessarily have to eat more carbs.  This simply isn't an
option for those of us who have trouble controlling our weight when carbs make up
a primary portion of the diet.