From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:58:50 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/2007 8:28:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Thank you to all who have responded. I will be contacting Katherine off-list
for further communication. Being a long time member of this list, I am fully
aware of just about every suggestion here, and am already incorporating them
into my lifestyle. This is perhaps the scariest thing- living this way and
getting BC anyway.

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY

Dear Maddy,

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time. I also wanted to
add that iodine may be something that could help. If you haven't already done
so, I would introduce small amounts of seaweed (specifically, wakame, kombu,
arame, kelp, nori) into your diet.  I say small, because everyone's tolerance
is different and if you haven't been eating seaweed at all -- I don't think
it's prudent to suddenly start downing it like spinach. Also, some folks with
autoimmune thyroid disease must be very careful about adding too much iodine and
other people are simply iodine sensitive.  Example:  I'm talking more like a
teaspoon of dried wakame which you can reconstitute in water -- drink the
soaking water and add the wakame to salad, etc. Nori is delicious but has barely
any iodine -- still, it is a delicious addition to the paleo style diet. I have
read an interesting hypothesis by Dr. David Derry regarding the roles of
iodine and thyroid hormone in breast cancer.  This is a special area of interest
for him.  He is retired, but his contact info was posted on Mary Shomon's
thyroid web site -- I posted it below -- I don't know if it is still accurate, but
worth a try if you think he may have some helpful suggestions for you.  His
book is available at amazon.com

_Amazon.com: Breast Cancer and Iodine : How to Prevent and How to Survive
Breast Cancer: Books: Dr. David Derry M.D., Ph.D._
(http://www.amazon.com/Breast-Cancer-Iodine-Prevent-Survive/dp/1552128849/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-4323043-1651800
?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187704338&sr=8-1)

David M. Derry M.D., Ph.D.
305 Goldstream Avenue
Victoria B.C. V9B 2W4
250 478-8388
E-Mail [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])