From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 11:30:33 -0500
Amanda Hayward-Lester wrote:

>I was a little confused by your spice post. In your knowledge is it
>currently  legal or illegal for "spices" to include glutinous fractions
>(like HVP)?

It has always been illegal under FDA regs, and that is where Durkees spices
fall under. It used to be legal under USDA regs, and you had to watch for
it in things like hotdogs. But the USDA has tightened up its regs and I do
not know where they now stand. (For the non-Americans: USDA covers meat
products while the FDA covers everything else.)

> This is always a big worry for me being a celiac. Im asking
>because in addition to their pure spices, which I have had no problem with,
>Durkees chilli powder is listed by the manufacturer as being gluten free.

Does it still list the ambiguous "spices?"

>However, just yesterday I made a lamb chilli and used Durkees Chilli P for
>the first time. This morning I was very ill, classic celiac symptoms.

A while back there was a fellow on the celiac list from the Netherlands
that was willing to test things sent to him. If we can figure out how to
find this in the archives you could send him some and have it tested. My
problem with Durkees chilli powder was many years ago, and I long ago gave
the remaining  away.

> Its
>always hard to pinpoint the cause, but maybe this is the culprit. Any
>suggested brand of "chilli powder" ?

I have had no problem with McCormicks. All the ingredients are ingredients
and it doesn't list "spices."

Don.