From:
"M.E. C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:06:17 EDT
In a message dated 7/14/2001 12:49:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  I made the most delicious jelly from the juice derived from boiling the
> beans and hulls for 45 minutes.  The taste was similar to honey.  That was
> back in my "sugar eating" days.  I wonder if you boiled them and cooked
> them down significantly would they render a sweet juice?

I saw a recipe on one site about boiling down the pods to make a jelly. It
was on a site about eating desert plants,etc.
I would think that you could cook the ground pods down and strain it
resulting in a sweet juice,maybe cook the juice down more for a syrupy
essence.
I was surprised at how sweet the pods are just off the tree. The inside of
the pod was kind of a yellowish paste.
I have some drying in the 102 degree sun today. I am going to experiment with
grinding some after they are dry and sifting out the seeds. Then I will see
what I can do with the powder.
I am also looking forward to the prickly pear cactus fruits in a month or so.
I thought I would extract the juice. I have one of those Omega centrifuge
type juicers that you can put a paper filter in...I think it would catch the
spines from the fruit...or just hold the fruit with gloves and scoop out the
insides with a spoon,then juice the pulp. They are very seedy inside and not
practical to just eat "straight." The flavor is very berry like and
fruity,very deep red.
As you know,Jan,there are tons of 'em around here. :)

Mary C.