From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:29:58 +0100
At 10:25 1998-01-16 EST, Kathleen wrote:
>newbie question, is pure gelatin "legal"?  Isn't it an animal derived food?
>The box says no carbs, no fat, 6 grams protein, contents "gelatin".

Its refined just like white shugar. In small quantities certainly will do no
harm I think. But it still is pulled out of its natural context.
By eating only parts of the animals we also eat the meat out of its context
and so can not be completely shure it works as it was "meant by nature".
Yesterday I went to cinema and saw "Nanook of the north" a documentary
film from 1922 about an eskimo family in the north-east part of Hudson Bay.
Their struggle to get enough food means the eate all of what they got hold
of, exept what the dogs needed. All the family worked together to pull out a
large seal of a hole in the ice, and immediately started to eat it.
Nanook used two tools for neary everything, the machete-like knife and the
stick harpoon in one end and ice-pick in the other. The eskimo variant
of stone and spear (of course the knife was a stone some hundred yeras ago).
It is obvous that we need a knife or sharp stone to be able to eat fresh
meat, as we cannot bite it into pieces small enough to chew. Take one end
in the mouth the other in one hand and cut off just in front of your lips!
Nanook, the skilled hunter died from starvation two years later but also
became a film hero all over the world.
The other day I saw a film about eskimos in the Thule (Greenland) area
made some 12 years ago. At least when there is aparty they still eat in
the same way.
Sad thing I was not used to this way of eating from childhood.

- Hans