From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:29:45 -0700
Hello, all!

I recently subscribed to this list, and want to introduce myself.

My name is Jane and I live in Baja Arizona with my husband and four
cats.  I am developing a business as an information researcher.  I have
been aware of the paleo diet idea for several years and just ran into it
again in researching low-lectin diets.  Dr. Ben Balzer had written a Net
article that stated the paleo diet is a low-lectin diet.  I wrote to him
about this, and then on another list I answered a question Theola had posed
to the group and she gave me the link to this list.  Thanks, Theola!

I read the book "Paleolithic Prescription," by Eaton, et al, several years
ago, and I could see myself as a stone-age woman, going out sometimes with
just my dog and my slingshot to hunt small game.  That's kind of humorous,
since exercise is not my high card.  But the idea of working hard and then
playing hard, similar to the rhythms of those people is my personal
rhythm.  I am not a desk jockey, and working 8 to 5 every week day, no
matter what, is not my style.

I want to be clear that my interest in the paleo diet stems from personal
health issues and not an attempt to make a religion out of this.  I'm not
much of a purist anyway, and I have no intention of giving up my
thermostatically controlled furnace (until the plug is pulled on the world,
anyway) just because my ancestors didn't have it.  I guess that if you can
include tomatoes and other New World foods into your diet that  non-Native
American bodies have had only 500 years to get adjusted to, I can slip a
little ghee into my diet.  (It's lactose and casein free.)

So my big interest is health.  I have Leaky Gut, thus the need to reduce
lectins in my diet.  Grains, legumes, and dairy are all high lectin.  I
also have celiac, so I have to avoid wheat, rye, barley, and oats, and
dairy.  I have discovered that all grains, including rice in large amounts,
and most seeds do not set well with me.  And vegetarianism and high-carb,
especially starch, diets don't work for me, either.  I am a fast-oxidizing
Blood Type O, and do avoid the Type O avoids.  Soooo, I am mostly on a
paleo diet, anyway.  Might as well get, and give, some support with it.

This list has some amazing discussions on a wide variety of topics, and I
have wanted to jump right in with some info for you.  So, now that I have
introduced myself, I can do that.

Best wishes,
Jane