From:
Alice McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:18:38 EST
Homeschooling, when done by those who prepare, is definately beneficial to
kids.  However, as a former teacher, (public schools, special ed), I also had
many home schooled children placed in my learning disabilities classroom
because while their intelligence was normal or above, their achievement was
either below the level that would be expected or they had big gaps in their
knowledge.  When they moved to the public school classroom, usually because
the parents felt they could not teach the materials at the higher levels in
all subject areas, the kids would struggle.  I agree that well done
homeschooling is better for any kid and I admire any parent who is able to do
it!  Even as I watched my 4 yr old son as he and my husband repaired some
bird houses that had blown out of trees during a storm, I can see how
"natural" it was for him to learn in that one-to-one setting, as he was
engaged, using all senses, and getting immediate feedback.  Those things just
don't happen like they should in a large classroom with a herd mentality.
However, as a former public school student, I remember going to school as a
good thing, and did go on to college and get two master's degrees so it can't
be all bad either ; )     My husband and I have been discussing what path to
take with our soon to be kindergarten age son, and have not yet made our own
decision.