Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:42:45 +0900
Phosphor wrote:

> Sally Fellon in "Nourishing Traditions" argues the grain finishing basically
> mimics the natural change in diet that bovines experienced as the meadow
> grasses ripened into seed.

Yeah, I have wondered about this myself. I mean, what is
corn, but a GRASS! From midsummer cows would be eating grass
seeds in any plains environment.

 Cows don't get fed wheat much, it is usually more expensive
than corn, so people with wheat allergies don't have
anything to worry about.

The whole theory that grass proteins somehow get into the
cow and cause allergic reactions in people just seems far
out to me. Grass is the cows natural food, after all. If we
are meant to eat herbivores at all, it shouldn't cause any
problem. I guess it must be something else causing the
trouble, but can't imagine what. Maybe soybeans? For those
allergic to beans that is. Or more likely reaction to
antibiotics in the feed.