Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:13:59 -0600
>Or its not even true. A few years ago women claimed that Long Island had a
>much higher breast cancer rate than average. This based on many some women
>claiming they knew so many that had it. They claimed the environment was
>more toxic there. Much money was then allocated for a study and it was
>found that the rate was the same as elsewhere.

Well, the article includes this:

>"They tend to be about 40 percent higher than the
>national average and about 30 percent higher than the
>rest of the Bay Area," said Tina Clarke, an
>epidemiologist with the Northern California Cancer
>Center, who has been studying breast cancer in Marin
>County since the mid-1990s.

-- so there seems to be some objective evidence for this one.

I do recall reading that a British study had showed that vegetarianism
increases risk of breast cancer.  This was a few years ago (irnonically
enough, about the time Linda McCartney passed away).  One study doesn't
prove it, of course; but still, it's annoying to read that article, and see
that people are looking at all sorts of environmental factors.  I think I'm
gonna try to send a message to Ms. Clark, and give her a heads-up.