From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:34:17 -0600
tsayonah wrote:

> Question on pemmican:  I currently cannot eat beef, possibly
> because all available here is grain fed(?).  Anyway, I know
> you can make jerky out of just about any raw meat - turkey,
> fish etc.  But if one wished to make pemmican without beef,
> what would one use for the fat?  I have been told that pig
> fat (ie lard) is not suitable as it does not set up firm
> enough.  Anyone tried any other fat sources?  Was wondering
> about coconut oil - it sets up firmly when cold and is paleo
> ok.  Or am I just going to have to wait until I find a
> source of grass fed beef to try?  Thanks for your advice!

I have made pemmican with organic pork fat; it was very good.
I put it in a jar and ate it with a spoon, so it didn't need to be firm.

I have also made some with coconut oil (which will melt at 75 degrees,
so you probably want to keep that in a jar too).

Thanks for sharing your story with us; it is inspiring.

    Lynnet