From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:19:09 -0400
> City Monkey wrote:
> Subject: Re: Sample High Cal Meal Plan?
>
> That's a total of 2,278 calories. That's not enough to support any
> activity.

I weight 145lbs and am 5'10" tall. I can maintain my weight AND work out at
the gym every day on less than 2000 calories per day. The only time I ever
consumed more that that in a day was when I went hiking (5-8 miles 2000ft
gain or more). Hiking imposes a greater energy requirement than a 45minus
moderate intensity workout. On those days when I hiked, I would consume
about 2500 calories. At that time I was living off of ZonePerfect bars. They
are 220-250 calories each. On days when I worked out but didn't hike I would
eat 6 bars, 2 for breakfast, 2 for lunch and 2 for dinner. On days that I
hiked I would eat 10, 2 for breakfast (while driving to the trail head), 2
more when I got to the trail head but before the hike started, 2 at the mid
point of the hike, 2 when got done with the hike, and 2 more for dinner.

So given 250 calories per bar that means I was normally living on 1500
calories per day but would jump to 2500 calories per day when hiking.

Now, I don't recommend eating ZonePerfect bars. I was eating them before I
discovered paleo. For a paleo and caloric equivalent, try pemmican. You can
order pemmican from http://www.grasslandbeaf.com. The pemmican comes in 2oz
bars that contain approximately 200 calories each.

A normal day for me now is:
Breakfast: 4 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon.
Lunch: Bowl of home made chilly (see recipe on http://paleofood.com). I
split the chili into 3 servings.
Dinner: Another bowl of chili or 16oz steak.

I'll sometimes get lazy or be in a hurry and will instead stop by the
WholeFoods and get 10oz of raspberries for breakfast or 16oz of salmon for
dinner.

And for lunch I sometimes walk over to the Boston Market (a fast restaurant)
and get 8oz of turkey a serving of broccoli and a serving of backed apples.
This is not altogether paleo but when I get lazy I just don't care.

If you expect to maintain or increase your muscle mass, you need to get
enough protein in your diet. I don't recommend going below 50g per day and
would suggest that if you want to gain weight you should shoot for at least
.5 grams per pound of body weight.

As for fat consumption, there are different opinions about what fat is or is
not good for you. My personal opinion is that fat isn't bad for you,
assuming you are getting the fat from properly raised animals (e.g. grass
fed beef).

-Tad