From:
Richard Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:08:03 -0700
Interesting.

I weigh 185 pounds, so 185gr. = .4 lb. or 6.5 oz.
and at 13% body fat,      165gr. = .36 lb. or 5.8 oz

So if meat is mostly protien then I should eat about .5 lb. of meat a
day.
Hmm, I currently (on atkins induction level, about 10 gr. carbs a day.)
eat probably 3 pounds of meat a day.

I may cut back meat considerably.  Where did you arrive at the 1gr x
body weight formula?

I have noticed that I first lost lots of weight on Atkins, then gained
back on Paleo, then
am now loosing some on Atkins again.  Also I seemed to loose rapidly at
first and then slow down.
Atkin's book says this is because much of the initial loss is water
weight.

R. Keene

>>> Lisa Sporleder <[log in to unmask]> 03/05/99 12:08AM >>>
<<I even tried R. Audette's suggestion of all meat and nothing else
from Thanksgiving through Christmas of last year only to gain 10
pounds (while in ketosis I might add).>>

If you were eating extremely high levels of lean meat, and not
much fat, I have one hypothesis.  The gurus on the lowcarb-
exercise list report that 58% of consumed protein is converted to
glucose in the body.  If you overdo the protein, you could
conceivably (and I've done this myself) convert enough to glucose
naturally that you are actually promoting the release of insulin,
which could really mess with the weight-loss part of the equation.
What works for me is keeping protein to 1 gram x bodyweight in
pounds as an upper limit, 1 gram x lean body mass as a lower
limit, and making up the rest of my calories from fat.

Lisa Sporleder
Ester, Alaska