From:
Ben Liberman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:31:17 -0500
At 9:14 PM -0400 4/8/10, Don Wiss wrote:
> >http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/Coconut_Kefir_Plain.html
>
>When I was writing about it not being completely paleo I was referring to the guar gum, which is a bean. And the xanthum gum, which I believe is from corn.
>
>Don.

I tend to see through my own filters when things are not spelled out.  Thanks for clarifying that Don.

At 9:04 PM -0400 4/8/10, Todd Moody wrote:
>Refined sugar, as we usually use that term, is sucrose, a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. Sucrose was also present in paleolithic food. The process of refining it isolates it from virtually every other substance present in the foods in which it was available to paleo people.

My apologies.  I was using "Refined sugar" in a non-common way to refer to any refined sugar.

>There's a whole class of substances that we may say are paleo in the sense that paleo people probably consumed them when they could, but their ability to do so was sharply limited by the environment. Glucose would fall in that category.

>We may say that glucose etc. are non-paleo in the amounts and forms that refinement makes possible. Or we may say that they are paleo, but fall into a special "handle with care" category, and must be consumed in small amounts. Either way, the common message is: small amounts.
>
>In this case, the kefir product that Don Wiss recommended has a few grams of glucose per serving. Is that enough to knock it out of bounds? Personally, I can't see why it should.

Thanks Todd.  I agree with what you are saying.  My approach is slightly different because my concern is about what it does to insulin production, blood glucose changes, and how that would affect fat metabolism.  In my current experiments I am trying to stay on the ketogenic side to see how that affects my triglycierides, and VLDL particle size (trying to reverse heart disease).

I would probably choose to see it as an occasional treat but would be hesitant to make it a regular part of my diet.