From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:14:22 -0800
> Specific GM food research?

Thought I might enter into the fray here.

As a contract programmer, I have been working closely
for the past 6+ years with a very large, international
seed company. Last summer I was invited to attend an
employee luncheon (you know, the rah-rah kind). The
president of the company gave a nice talk about
business, gave out awards, etc., then proceeded to
talk about the future of the company. During this part
of his spiel, he emphasized, more than once, that the
"winners" in the seed business of the future would be
the companies that had "superior genetics". At this
point, we were shown a rather lengthy slide show about
what was in the works in the genetics labs. I can't
remember exact details, but some of the things I do
remember were:

* crops genetically immune to diseases, fungi, etc.
btCorn is a good example (that's the corn that's
killing the monarch butterflies)

* crops with "enhanced" nutient values. Like oranges
with 500 mg vitamin c

* crops with "new" nutrients. Like corn with vitamin c
added, or potatoes with protein added

* crops with vaccines. Potatoes, corn and tomatoes
were mentioned.

* crops with other medicines/drugs added.

Apparently potatoes and corn are fairly easily
manipulated genetically, as they came up in a number
of examples.

Keep in mind that most of these examples were in the
experimental stages, and were not expected to "hit the
streets" for a few years yet. But the emphasis was NOT
on providing farmers with high quality, disease and
mutation-free seed. The emphasis was on genetically
manipulating nearly everything to create some kind of
perfect, utopian world.