Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:11:02 +1100
I have just recently spent some time in Indonesia where the main staple is also
rice and wondered about this myself. So I started looking more closely at what
they ate. I noticed that they eat lots of small portions of food throughout the
day and they eat a lot of fat, fibrous veg. and some protein with their rice.
This would lower the glycemic index and the frequent small feeds would lower the
insulin index.
I also noticed that since my first visit 20 years ago that there are a few fat
people. Not a lot but more than there were. I would attribute this to the
introduction of western type sugar in coke, icecream etc. that have become part
of the diet.
Leonie