From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:32:08 GMT
Stacie how do you come to the idea that you need additional iron?
You didn't specify your diet, so i suppose it's neander-style with a
lot of
meat.

Oops I should have specified. I don't eat a great deal of meat. I am
still
overcoming a strong aversion to meat. I eat perhaps 1/2 lb. of buffalo
or
medium-cooked venison or lamb a week. I ate beef this week for the
first
time without getting heartburn. So I am still adjusting to meat. I do
eat
dark meat poultry, fishes, and pork, and I eat one or more of these
daily.

In this way I'd assume you are more in the danger to get
*too much* of iron then too less (of heme iron).

While that is true, I am definitely deficient at this time. Remember
that I
have had two babies in the last two and a half years, and have been
nursing
that whole time. When I was pregnant the second time, I was also
nursing and
actually was advised *against* taking a vitamin/mineral supplement.
(!) I
became anemic, and in addition had a great deal of bleeding after my
Cesarean section. At this time, I am very tired all of the time and my
blood
pressure is quite low. I walk daily (pushing 55 lbs. of kid-weight in
stroller) and also do yoga. That does help, but I am still quite
tired. I
have been eating meat since 7/1/00, which really isn't that long, and
as I
mentioned I don't eat a great deal of red meat right now. I do feel a
lot
better though, now that I am paleo. I am no longer too tired to go out
for
the mail! Walking two and a half blocks to the grocery store is no
longer
intimidating. I am speaking of physical exhaustion and also
agorophobia
as well (which changing my diet has actually helped).

Now I looked at the tables and found that for the 18 recomm mg iron
are not *that* easy to eat with meat. 720 g beef per day.

Here's the iron table in order of occurance by weight.
And don't forget that vitamin c helps iron intake.

   18.0 mg iron per day are recommended for a adult woman

(More if she's lactating.)
Where should I look for those mushrooms? Would you suppose I could buy
them
dried at the HFS? I will look these up. Thanks Amadeus!
S.