From:
Mike MacLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:28:42 -0700
Just for the record, I take the time and effort to make chicken soup
with:

1) Big 8-9 pound roaster chickens (they taste like chickens used to)

2) Roasted roaster chickens (changes the flavor markedly for the
better, IMHO)

I roast two at a time, bone 'em out as soon as they cool, then boil
the
bones for an hour or more with the same vegetables mentioned
previously. I
will often add a box of chicken or vegetable broth (from Whole Foods)
the boiling mix. After the broth is strained and cooled, you can skim
any
fat easily, then add in whatever vegetables and cut-up chicken you
want for
a regular soup.

Beleive me, the old hens and the roasting makes a *lot* of difference.
You
get so much collagen in the broth it sets up twice as firm as
jello(tm).

Mike