From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 16:48:18 +0100
On 30 Apr 2008, at 19:17, Lisa Sporleder wrote:

> I cook lots of stuff in those times when I'm doing other things
> somewhere near the kitchen and can just give something a stir every
> 5-10 minutes without devoting much attention to it.

Unfortunately that's my problem, there's no way I can concentrate on
my job (computer programmer) with food in the oven as it takes me
longer than 10 minutes to get my concentration back if I have to go
and see to something else.

> I bake chicken a family pack at a time...put meat in pan, put pan in
> oven, set timer, don't think about until timer goes off...lunches
> for the week.

Again, it's a nice idea if you eat in the day but I would end up
eating this as a single day's food...

> As for roasting, my indispensable kitchen tool is the programmable
> meat thermometer.  You set the thermometer for the temperature that
> you want to take the roast out of the oven, poke the probe into the
> roast, put the roast in the oven, and when the thing starts beeping,
> take the roast out.  The probe attaches by a thin, flexible cable to
> the temperature setting/beeper part, which is magnetic and sticks to
> the side of my stove.  No more checking on the roast, no more
> overcooking because I got busy doing something else.  Wipe off the
> probe and cable with a damp cloth after use, and it's ready to go
> again.  It was a little pricey, but so worth it!

Sounds like a good idea!  Unfortunately the house I'm in now is not
really suited to it - the oven that works is 2 floors down and there
are 3 fire doors between us.  Any oven thermometer I could hear in my
room would probably be loud enough to kill a small mammal.

> If I had to cook a full-fledged meal every day, I'd end up eating
> crappy foods that my body doesn't handle well.

I find the opposite! When I snack I end up eating worse stuff, or at
least much less variety, and don't bother to prepare veg.

> If eating through the day and not eating after about 3 p.m. means
> I'm doing IF, then that's what I'm doing most of the time.

I think it depends on the size of your eating window.  If you are
eating 9-3 your eating window is 6 hours so your fasting window
(assuming you don't drink any calorie-rich drinks in the evening) is
18 hours.  Currently my split is usually 5/19 to 3/21.

If I ate every other day I'd probably have two meals that day - so I'd
have a 6 hour eating window and a 42 fasting period, which is double
what I have now.  (I might do the veg every day thing though).

> But check out that programmable meat thermometer!  Simplifies
> roasting considerably.

Will do, thanks.

Ashley