From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:06:49 +0200
> > sweet potatoes on this latitude and climate? Usually it's cold here.

In the area where Fredrik lives the last frost nights in spring often occur
in the end of june/beginning of july. Where I live it's around Midsummer
(23/6) The first nights of autumn frost in Fredriks area is in late August
and in my area in late September. To keep Fredriks rye alive where he lives
people had to walk the fields with a rope stretched between them during
those early frost nights. The movement the rope causes stops the dew from
freezing and thereby ruining the rye. We call those nights the iron nights.

> comparable, but growing season is short.
Yes, that would probably be the problem here but I will go and by a sweet
potatoe today and dig it down into my garden and then I'll report to the
list.

> I've heard that sweet potatoes rot quickly unless they are exposed to high
temperatures
> (>90F) after harvest. If this is true, they are a southern crop only.
Deegres higher than 90F you will only find for a few days in the summer and
not all years. Thet applies to all of Sweden.

I once bought a sweet potatoe and put it in my refrigarator. I looked at it
now and then, thinking what to do with it and one morning it was soggy and
disgusting. I ate something called plantans or something like it when I
visited New Orleans. That was nice but was it sweet potatoe?
Eva