From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 14:40:34 -0400
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Gregg Carter wrote:

> I'm having a hard time ignoring the research showing the negative impacts
> of transfatty acids and saturated fat on cardiovascular health.
> Eliminating the first, of course, is no problem on a Neandethin kind of
> program.  But beef and pork are load with saturated fat.  Right now, I'm
> eating fish (especially salmon and tuna), skinless chicken and turkey; and
> limiting my red meat to ground venison (which is low in saturated fat
> compared to beef); I also make my omlettes with only half the egg yolks--
> again guided by my concerns about saturated fat.  Does this sound
> reasonable?

Read the material at http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-25775/index.htm
carefully.  This business about saturated fat is complicated.
While many people will actually have improved blood lipids on a
Neanderthin sort of diet ("improved" according to currently
received medical opinion, that is), some will get the reverse
result.  If you happen to be among the latter group (as I am)
then you must decide how concerned you want to be about
hypercholesterolemia, or try a different diet.

I have tried a different diet, and did succeed in getting a
substantial cholesterol reduction, but I also gained weight
(fat).  Not good.  So now I am back to a paleo-type program
rather like what you describe, except I don't get much venison.
I also use ground beef, but I de-fat it by boiling it and then
add olive oil and spices.  It's actually quite good that way.
I'll get my blood lipids tested again in June.

Todd Moody