From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:29:46 +0100
Wow this thread has caught my attention!

On Oct 24, 2004, at 5:34 am, evfit wrote:
> Try to eat your salad greens in variety.  In each of my salads I have
> at
> least three different greens, sometimes six or seven.  This mimics the
> paleo
> eating, where greens would have been nibbled along the way as people
> were
> out hunting and tuber gathering; only rarely would they have been
> gathered
> and brought back to the camping place to combine with meat.  This way
> they
> would have been eaten totally, totally fresh. Stronger-tasting herbs,
> in
> contrast, would often have been brought back to complement the meats.
> Mix
> the proportions of greens in your salads, too: sometimes have as the
> dominant green those used relegated to garnish roles in Western
> commercial
> cuisine.  For example, I often use water cress:
> http://www.evfit.com/mealpic1.htm

I am now adapting my diet so I eat only after 6pm.  Although not the
initiating factor, I believe that if I eat this way I am simulating the
intermittent fasting (that we've discussed here) experienced by
hunter-gatherers.  When I am used to eating like this, and don't even
feel hungry at 10pm, I might start a 2-day eating cycle on occasions.
It'd be interesting to see how far you can take this!

Anyway I am only saying this because in a discussion about paleo food
elsewhere, someone brought up food combining.  His argument was that
the body produces acidic enzymes to digest animal products, and
alkaline enzymes to digest plant products.  So if you eat the two
together, your digestive juices combine to make a watery slop that
digests neither very well.  I don't know if this is true or not
(probably another thread), but it makes me wonder... if I am going to
continue my one meal a day diet, do I...

a) eat veg in the day and risk spoiling my IF feeding? or is veg so
low-cal it won't have an impact?

b) eat veg at say 6pm and save meat until 10pm (that fits nicely with
my training schedule), so that my food is closer together and my body
spends less time in "digestion mode"

or

c)      eat veg with my meat like I've always done- which may just be a bad
neolithic habit?  (Perhaps a way of eating unpleasant-tasting food like
beans with nice-tasting food as a way of sneaking in extra calories.)

As for the use of herbs in cooking- I believe this does go back a long
time.  Seasoning food seems almost like an instinct.  It is also a good
way of getting past the taste barrier that certain herbs put up, which
stops us eating them even if more would be healthy and beneficial
(although the flipside is, like I said, that you could be tricking
yourself into eating poison.)

> or a whole bunch of parley or basil or coriander as the basis of a
> salad and
> add other greens in smaller proportions.  This too mimics the culinary
> explorations of a hunter-gatherer stroll through country where
> different
> greens predominated.

I am going to try this.  There are quite a few pre-packed salads on
Tesco's organic shelf.  I ignored them before due to the cost, but it
might be worth having a rocket or watercress salad now and again.  I
definitely think I should eat more greens.

On Oct 24, 2004, at 11:01 am, Persephone O'Donnell wrote:
> Thomas Bridgeland  wrote:
>
>> Just today I pulled carrots, and saved the tops to eat as greens.
>> Taste
>> nice fresh or cooked.
>
> I'd not heard of eating carrot greens until I read your post, so I
> went on
> a web-hunt to find out more. They seem full of all kinds of good
> nutritional things, but I found an unexpected medicinal side effect.
> Apparently:
>
> 'Carrot leaves contain significant amounts of porphyrins, which
> stimulate
> the pituitary gland and lead to the release of increased levels of sex
> hormones.'

Tesco also sell bunched organic carrots.  I always wondered why, but I
guess the knowledge that carrot tops are a good food must be quite
widespread- bunched carrots are twice as dear as buying just the roots.
  I like eating radish leaves too, they are quite strong but nice mixed
with something.  I wonder if they will also help my sex life :)