From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:53:57 -0700
Peter Brandt
>Where can I buy "true yams" in the US?

Rachel Matesz:
>An Asian market.  One example is the jinenjo mountain yam, used in
> >Japanese cookery.

Been thinking of posting this sidebar.  Here goes.

I find butternut squash to be a great yam substitute.  They're the same
color, close to the same texture and, to me, sweeter than any yam or sweet
potato I've ever had.  Don't know if it would taste as good, but I think you
could eat butternut squash raw.  They have about half the carbs of yams.

I think for Christmas (may have a dear friend coming to visit and would love
to make a nice meal for him) I'll cook up a small bird and use this as a
yam/sweet potato substitute myself.  A really tasty dish is baked butternut
mixed with some cooked ground sausage and onions, walnuts, raisins and
apples, this mix then rebaked inside the scooped out squash half.  Just an
idea and no recipe; use as little or as much of the above as seems fit.  Or
just eat the butternut plain; dee-lish!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO