From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:52:54 -0500
On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:34:05 EDT, M.E. C <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Aluminum beverage cans are coated on the inside with a substance that
>prevents aluminum from reacting with the liquid inside.
>http://www.cancentral.com/canc/text/manuf.htm

However, I've been told that the can coating can have cracks.

I looked at your can link and it made me even more suspicious on
alu cans.
Besides alu... there are lubricants used in the manufaction process.
I doubt they are 100% washed away.
And bost important: The coating is applied before the top and opener is
added. The top is not coated then.

Alu itself is unreactive....no no aluminium oxide is unreactive.
It forms a few-atoms-thick coating around each metallic alu
(in the presence of oxygen).
But what, if theres slight damage, like from deformations.
Or when the can is opened?
Then the acids from the beverage can take the alu in solution.
It will be drunk and move to the brain to destroy its cells.

Not the only argument against alu cans.

Aluminiumoxid in soils, will *this* make alu ions to go to the nerves?
Plants seem to not intake it, even in grown in a soil with alu-oxide.

regards

Amadeus