From:
Judith Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 18:23:15 +0900
Ben,

You posted regarding the Glycemic index a quote including the following:

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The glycemic index was
developed for helping diabetics choose foods that would not cause
big swings in blood glucose levels.  The type of starch, particle
size, maturation of a fruit or vegetable, cooking time, and many
other factors affect the glycemic index.  Only knowledge of many
variables makes the glycemic index useful for those who need to
control their blood sugar.

    I have some major problems with the glycemic index.  The major one is
that it doesn't seem to work as far as I can tell.

I most diabetics I know are Type II, and I used to be on the alt.diabetes
forum.  There I learned a lot, about how people follow this glycemic index
to the letter, yet their diabetes condition worsens, and over the years on
the diet they have to add more and more meds.  Many people are on 3 or more
meds after 5-10 years of following these guidelines...I believe they are set
up by the US dept of health?

Anyways, diabetes II can be successfully treated so that you need NO meds,
and many doctors have diets which include paleo-type guidelines (sorry, I am
not a hardliner!) and they have treated diabetes patients back to full
health, with no meds.

It may be a well intentioned diet, but in practice I have never heard of it
curing one case of diabetes.

Judith