From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:22:36 -0500
That's interesting.  I've been having something of an opposite experience.

I've been very discouraged lately, having not only not lost any weight
since May, but actually having regained 5 pounds in the past two months.
 I've fallen off the wagon repeatedly in the past couple of weeks, mostly
out of feeling that I'm getting no where fast, and the occasional feeling
of deprivation.  I've still religiously avoided gluten-containing products,
but I've eaten some ice cream and chocolate.  And what I've found was... I
couldn't stand it.  I felt awful almost immediately, and couldn't get back
to low-carb fast enough.

I will admit that the meat thing gets old.  Another big part of my problem
is that I'm getting so damn sick of beef, chicken, eggs, and pork.  It's
one thing to eat the same stuff all the time when you have the motivation
of losing weight, or even of keeping it off once you get to where you want
to be.  But I haven't lost anything in seven months, I'm slowly creeping
back up (and the three one-night binges seem to have had no discernible
effect either way), and it's getting old.  My original goal, to get down to
the weight where I could re-join the Air Force through the Reserves or
National Guard seems as far away as ever, if not farther, now that I'm
going in the wrong direction.  I used to be the low-carb wonder-boy, now
I'm just wondering.

The symptoms you describe do sound like the very beginning of the switch.
 If you're interested in switching to low-carb, I'd recommend doing the
opposite of the Atkins diet; for someone like you, it might make more sense
to reduce the carbs slowly until you've removed them.  Some people seem to
be more sensitive to the shock of changing fuel supplies than others.  Good
luck either way.

Better luck,
John Pavao

I have tried eating that way to lose weight for Navy tests.  It worked, but
the longest I could ever stay on it was 3 weeks.  I would feel light headed
and dizzy often, my feet felt cold, my mind would rush (like it does if I
have too much caffeine) and my hands would shake (not good when you are a
dentist).  Also I craved carbs.....I would think about granola all day.
And meat lost all appeal after a few days.  I'd like to do it and lose 60
pounds, but I don't think I can put up with all that.