From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:47:12 MDT
Howdy, List!

I've already said too much in one day, but I just HAVE to share a
giggle
from work.

So my boss and I are working on the Protein Power media campaign.
He's
excited about it but has yet to fully grasp the concept.  Part of our
press
kit will be four top ten lists ala Letterman (top ten foods to avoid,
top
ten things wrong with the USDA food pyramid, etc.)  One of the foods
avoid?  A banana.  Dave doesn't quite go ballistic but says we HAVE to
get
that off the list, it's crazy, yadda yadda yadda.  "Let me tell you
one
reason that's bad; bananas are an excellent source of potassium."  To
which
I say "Yes, but so are avacados."  You know what came next.  "But THEY
have
cholesterol in them!"  I smiled, slowly shook my head and told him to
ask
the doctors.

Whenever I try to explain anything low-carb or paleo, Dave's eyes
glaze over
or he talks about how wheat is *good* for you and this whole idea is
nuts.
He can't take anything I say seriously.

So we get some wonderful pyramid graphics from the Eades.  The USDA
food
pyramid, when broken down into macronutrients, is exactly what farmers
give
pigs to fatten them for slaughter.  So we have three pyramids to drive
the
point home.  Dave wants a Protein Power pyramid.

Sigh.  This is not good.  It's too high in fat and meat to please a
mainstream food editor.  *I* know this, but I also know he won't
believe
*me*.  So, as instructed, I ask Mike Eades to whip one up for us.

Instead, he sends a wonderful explanation of why it won't work,
including
his weight loss formula and other great information.  The best part
came at
the end: "We like to say that a pyramid is a good thing to bury a dead
Egyptian in—not a good pattern for optimal nutrition."

Brilliant!  There's your sound bite!

My boss is a wonderful man, but he's a prime example of the average,
educated American; the fat-is-bad message has been beaten into his
brain for
so long, the mere concept of a low-carb, meaty diet including (God
help us!)
FAT is bad, bad, bad!  Eating a cholesterol-laden food such as an egg
or an
avocado? It'll kill you!

Needless to say, I like this campaign for no other reason than my boss
will
one day realize we're right.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO