From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:17:20 -0600
>> Drinking *too* much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance in your
>> body.

>but I have heard
>that too much water leeches salts out of your body.

More than just salt is leeched out of the body. Other electrolytes are lost
as well. Too much water can overload the kidneys and result in "water
intoxication" (occasionally seen in athletes).

I know a female bodybuilder who took the "drink as much water as you can"
philosophy to heart. In fact, she was almost evangelical about it. That is
- until she started suffering heart palpitations. After further study it
became clear that she was drinking too much water. She cut her intake in
half, and the palpitations ceased.

Once again, I think you have to follow the money trail. Who benefits *most*
from excessive water consumption? Could it be the bottled water companies?

>Experts say that if you wait until you get thirsty, it is too
> late.

Other "experts" say differently.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/08/020809071640.htm
http://www.rense.com/general26/drinkingtoomuchwater.htm