From:
Mark Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:39:40 -0700
Hello,

On Tues, 14 Dec James Crocker wrote:

>>Paleo eating does seem to be the most
>>sensible, and in order to recieve
>>excellent benefits from it we do not
>>need to exclude every grain, legume
>>and dairy product. I repeat, there is
>>nothing wrong with a few grains (whole
>>grain bread, hot cereal), legumes
>>(beans, tofu), or dairy (nonfat milk &
>>yogurt). To think otherwise is overly
>>restrictive and unnecessary, IMVHO.

No one knows the answer to what the cost or benefit is of including
small amounts of nonpaleo foods into one's diet.

Everyone has a hypothesis and here's mine.  I find human beings to be
remarkably similar.  I believe there is a list of foods that are
unhealthy for all humans to eat.  The only difference from individual to
individual is how their body reacts to this food.  Some people have
clear reactions within days while others show no symptoms at first but
might come down with problems like cancer years later after consistenly
eating a certain food.

What foods should be avoided?  Well, Ray has made a good first stab at
the answer. Almost all of his foods to avoid are foods that more than 10
per cent of the population are sensitive to.  I don't believe his list
is perfect yet--i am suspicious of grain fed meats and oranges.

Is it wrong to include nonpaleo foods in ones diet?  In a world of
perfect information, everyone could do a personal cost/benefit analysis
including factors such as health, convenience, pleasure and cost in
order to make their decision. Since we are all working in the dark. we
look for an expert to tell us.  Wrong approach--they don't know either.
Siince i am strongly committed to achieving good health and i don't
believe nonpaleo foods will enhance my health i chose not to cheat on
the paleo diet.

Are cooked foods okay?  There is no doubt that there is a loss of
nutrition by cooking.  However, i still don't have an opinion if cooked
food causes harm to the body.

Good health,
mark