From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:32:27 -1000
I guess the other problem with the butt-simulation theory is that,
really, it's just not that hard to look at a woman's butt.  The theory
seems to imply that men needed or could benefit from the movement of the
"butt-shaped zone" to somewhere where it was easier to see.  Considering
that, for a bipedal creature such as we, looking down is necessary
anyway to either look at the butt or breasts, half-a-dozen one way six
the other.  My point is that breasts are rather expensive.  Whatever
benefits they convey have to make up for the obvious problems they
create.  Why not just change the visual trigger (select for males who
"get it")?  After all, pubic hair is a nice, ventral visual trigger, as
well as the genitals themselves.  They aren't visible _during_ sex but
the key here is the getting together bit, I imagine once the copulation
has started, any more visual triggers must be unnecessary.  Are breasts
even that exciting, to a culture that sees them all day, everyday?  When
did clothing start anyway?  And I suspect that covering one's breasts
started after covering one's genitals.

Erik