From:
Michele Wiedemer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:24:08 -0700
>>I agree with much of the info regarding starches and
sugars with SCD diet, but disagree with the dairy and
what seems excessive fruit sugars aspect of that
approach.  Which turns that diet into - yepper -
Paleo.

That's how I got here. I started on SCD and after a
month or two of eating the "specially prepared"
homemade yogurt, I realized that the milk protein, not
the sugar was my problem. I thought I had developed
rhematoid arthritis (and so did my doctor)!! Within a
couple of weeks of removing the yogurt and cheese, I
was much better. I found the paleo stuff when trying
to make that SCD diet work without any dairy.

I do, however, (after lots of healing-wasn't always
so) eat lots of fruit. My digestive problems were not
nearly so severe as yours, but I did bang my doctor's
head a few times and finally got a celiac diagnosis
after some blood tests. Anyway, the fruit doesn't
bother me, and 9 months pregnant in the summer, it
seems to be what I crave right now.

I also had lots of fatigue and a nutritionist who
suggested (based on hair analysis) that I had adrenal
burnout. My doctor put it as my adrenals were "tired"
from all I'd been through and gave me ACE (Adrenal
cortex extract) shots for a few months, as well as B12
injections. And I have to say, they made a world of
difference. If you can't find anyone who'll do the
shots, you could use the glandulars found in the
health food store, although they aren't as strong. I
also still take a thyroid extract, but recently my
doctor (who does muscle testing to find weaknesses in
the body) found my pituitary to be a little low- and
recommended that I take a pituitary/hypothalimus
extract. I have to wonder if that wasn't behind my
thyroid/adrenal problems to begin with.

Anyway...so to go on so long, just thought you might
want to hear my story. Sorry I don't have anything
more related to your problems to share, but just
wanted you to know that I DID get better on paleo
(it's been about 1 1/2 years now).

Michele