From:
David Lewandowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:57:51 -0700
At 05:46 AM 10/25/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:59:24 -0700, David Lewandowski
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>         I know I'm a freak when it comes to the amount of food/calories I
>> eat but
>> as those I've sent pictures to can attest, I look like a caveman. Always
>> have. When I walk at night people go to the other side of the street
>> probably because they're not sure if I'm human!
>
>Do you feel comfortable with this?
>Do you experience women to feel comfortable with this
>(just annother aspect)?

        Some women used to love it and the ones that tended to be
phonies and
materialistic hated it. That was a while ago. I've been married for 7
years
and together for the last 10, so I couldn't really tell you about this
now
as I don't care. It's just the way I am and have always been. There
are
always those that will judge you totally by your appearance. So be it.

>I remembered that i wanted to ask you this.
>For opportunity I'll respond to some open points.

The roman topic is quite off topic.... but subject to my interest.
>You can be shure, that such a roman legion was the most mobile unit of 6000
>men imaginable. Independent of food supply for 1 month.
>How do you think would a soldier force feel and fight if beeing without food
>for only 1 week? (How would you do?)

        I wouldn't like it. On the other hand I would not fight for
some fat ass
politician and his beliefs. If for the protection of freedom and loved
one's safety then bring it on.
        I am an anarchist at heart.

>Recharging the stocks of grain was easy as whole grains were available in
>all Europe, beeing the staple in all invaded countries. In celtic countries
>(today france, spain, southern germany, northern italy and much more) and
>germanic culture too. Ceasar describes how they crossed the Rhine by quickly
>building a whole bridge.

        This was of course at time that is definitely not paleo.

>>        Not if they crossed plains which they did. The estimated 60-75
>>million
>>buffalo before their slaughter were definitely not scares. In addition to
>>the many elk, deer, antelope, etc.
>
>That's the fortune of the westwarders in north America
>(no plains for germanic warriors).
>I think we should consider, that the buffalos in such vast amounts (60 mio)
>could come to existance only in absence of effective predators, including
>humans.

        There were approximately 100,000 grizzly bears at the time not
to mention
plenty of wolves. Both are very effective hunters of large game. Don't
forget mountain lions which are the strongest(lb for lb) cats in the
world
and quite capable of hunting young and sick buffalo.

> Humans had no horses until recently and buffalos run.
>When humans begun to have horses and rifles, the very vast herds quickly
>disappeared. 50 or 300 years are quick, compared to 10000, aren't they?.

        Ya buffalo run right over a cliff if directed properly. This
was a common
way to hunt them. They were also purposely killed for bounty money and
left
to rot because there was no use for that much meat. The herds were
quite
maintainable without the invention of roads and railways which block
the
herds from roaming the great plains.
        Also because they were the main food supply of American
Indians.
Exterminate the buffalo and the Indian is sure to follow. Besides,
hunters
were paid to kill them and were paid again as they began supply meat
large cities in the East.

>Before the human empowerment buffalos could be a constant but small resource
>for plain dwellers. Millions of people need different sources.

        They need to live with in their resources.

>>        No kangaroos in Europe except in zoos. The fat content varies with
>>the
>>season. This can be an enormous fluctuation in some species.
>
>Well, if the aboriginals sometimes discard a dead kangaro and sometimes not
>there must be times, when they are fat enough to allow at least a partly
>exploitation of the carcass.
>You told that you do hunt. So, how much fat can you derive of which animal
>at most?

        I am eating bear tomorrow. They have an enormous amount of fat
just under
the skin up to 10 inches thick! Possum is also very fatty. Loads of
fat
calories there.

>>I can assure you they have enough to satisfy any fat requirements my body
>>might have.
>
>Then you are a living example and can tell.
>If you eat a hunted animal, you don't have to add any other caloric sources
>within a few days? This would contradict findings of e.g. Speth (see quote
>in neanderthin). Or did you forget to mention some caloric sources like a
>little bacon or beer (I'll not tell about the latter)?

        I don't drink alcohol. Bacon is something that I do eat often.
Javelina
has plenty of fat. Exactly how much I couldn't say nor do I care much
know other than enough.

>For 5-6000 kcal you need approximately 1 lbs of fat daily (plus the
>protein). Deer fat?

        Are you asking where I might get 300 grams of
fat(300X's9kcals=2,700fat
kcals)? Carbs range from about 8-15% of calories which would come out
about 50-60 grams a day. Add in 300 grams of protein and you're at
5,000kcals. I also eat nuts and eggs. Not too many oils but for the
Romans
it would have been easy with olive oil. From meat that isn't much of a
stretch either depending on the time of the year and animal killed.
Think
about caribou, seals, walrus, whales, salmon skin, crustaceans,etc..
Fat
isn't that hard to find.

>Or is it with you like Ray Audette told it to do?
>Happyly hunting rabbits and eating "many" of them, but what really brings
>satiation is the fat of the agro-animals. Because rabbits "leave you hungry
>for annother one" after an hour or so, as he told.
>
>Amadeus S.

        I don't eat rabbits so I couldn't tell you. Squirrels are nice
though.
Even rats I've heard(I have not tried them myself). Agro-animals as
you put
it are not what brings satisfaction. Living as part of the living
breathing
planet does (at least for me).

Dave