From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:23:54 +0200
Mary wrote:

>>Vitamin C is very hard to get from animal body sources.

> The author of CANCER, DISEASE OF CIVILIZATION, directly
>contradicts al of
>this. The hunter gatherers were living very well without disease on
>meat/fish/fats only, he says. The meat could be lightly cooked or
>raw. hey
>had no evidence of degenerative diseases of modern civilization such
>as diabetes, etc. The author stated the
>BEST source for Vitamin C is fresh meat.

Then, please state which kind of hunter gatherers are it, that live
on "meat/fish/fats only".
The only ones which I personally know are Inuit, which are reported
to be able to live on only 13mg VitaminC per day (versus 70mg RDA).
This may be part of a genetic niche adaption nobody else has.
(whatever implications on health it has).
Possibly because in their diet the antioxidant property of vitamin C
comes from Vitamin E of fish.
Possibly because because they have a bigger ability to
detoxify bigger amounts of vitamin A, which would enable them
to eat more liver, which is the only animal folic acid or
vitamin c souce worth to mention (although still very low).

I think  the statement that
>the BEST source for Vitamin C is fresh meat
doesn't make the best impression of the book
"CANCER, DISEASE OF CIVILIZATION". Especially as Vitamin C as
antioxidant is an important and anti-cancer factor.

The real historic CroMagnon ice age hunters had only animal bodies
to relieve on in winters
(or they learned how to make berry depots in the snow or dried,
like i learned from posts on this list, that northern tribes do)
But historic CroMagnon had the ice age summer with plenty of green
herbs with plenty of vitamin c (like rumex).
By accident the vitamin c storage capacity of humands expands to
about one winters length, 3 to 4 months.

If you think too, that 20k years of ice age winters aren't enough
to establish a real ice-food adaption, then please think of
the millions of years before, whereever you think that the
human evolution has occured.
Plants are essential and knowledge about plants, their
historic availability and properties is real useful paleo knowledge.
IMHO.

Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net