From:
krosenth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:30:12 -0700
Recently, I mentioned on this list something re. cashews being legumes, not
nuts.  I was drawing from memory when I said that, but John Speno was kind
enough to send me the following references re. cashews:

> http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/casnut29.html
> http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,84,00.html

After reading them, I began to wonder why cashews are not considered paleo
if all that is needed for them to be edible is to roast them.

Ray Audette said in the orig. paperback "Neanderthin" on pg. 56, "Nuts are
the seeds of trees.......stuff deleted......they do not include peanuts and
cashews which are actually beans and are not easily digested in their raw
form."

Any thoughts would be appreciated because I am one of those people who LOVES
cashews and haven't had one for years.  Are cashews problematic for paleo
eaters in ways other than just the roasting?  Do they carry fungus,
aflatoxins, etc?

Kath