Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:32:24 EST
Wade,

Since it takes 3 months after resistance training is started for muscle
hypertrophy to occur, a person would have to add 3-4 lbs. of muscle mass in
the remaining nine months of the year to reach 30 lbs of increased muscle
mass.  No physiology textbook or scientific article that I know of says that
this is possible w/out using drugs (steriods).

Keep in mind when we talk of Lean Body Mass (LBM) we include everything that
is not fat mass.  This includes bone, water, connective tissue, muscle etc.
If someone puts on 30 lbs. of LBM in a year,  only a portion, maybe 30-50% of
this mass will actually be muscle.  The body's adaptation includes more dense
bone stucture (good for stopping osteoporosis), more connective tissue
(ligaments, fasia, collegen), and more cell volume (organelles, etc.) along
with more myofibrils within the muscles.

Ed Campbell, DC,CSCS