From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:32:06 -0500
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, David Lewandowski wrote:

> >They ran to hunt down animals sometimes....
>
>         Try running anything down greater than the size of a rat and you will soon
> realize that man is a dismal runner for the purpose of running down game.

In _Children of the Ice Age_, anthropologist Steven Stanley has a
more optimistic view of this.  He argues that the human ability
to run down game is highly developed.  This ability does is not
the same as being able to *outrun* game in a short sprint, as
many predators do.  We are indeed dismal at that.  But for
purposes of simply forcing the prey to keep moving until
exhausted, when we can then kill it, we are well adapted.  That
is, we can run longer, continuously, than most of the animals
that we eat.

Todd Moody