From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:00:28 -0600
>Substances such as phytoestrogens are not found only in soybeans, but also
in "paleo" foods <snip>

The same is true of aflatoxins, caffeine, alchohol.....

Many of the posts I've read on this list use this "but this food contains
'X'" logic to support their own personal preference for not eating a
certain food. Not to mention the apparent hatred of ALL nightshades and
legumes.

>Indeed, potatoes (and tomotoes) are New World foods

Does anyone know if they have any "old world" relatives? After all, wild
tomatoes are really nothing more than small berries, and I'm sure there
must be other similar plants around the world. Potatoes - I know of no
"direct" tuber relatives, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

I was watching a fascinating show the other night on the Science Channel.
It was about a diver/researcher who looks for ancient ruins in areas that
would have been dry land during the last ice age. It was amazing to see
maps of continents and islands connected together by land "bridges" for
lack of ocean water. Who knows what kind of plants and animals may have
migrated from continent to continent during that period of time.

>but there is no reason at all to suppose hunter-gatherers ever did so.

 I've made this point in the past. Hunter-gatherers don't walk around with
 a copy of Neanderthin as a reference guide for their food choices :)