From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2009 12:01:43 +0000
"Uh oh... spaghettio. Seems like we're demeaning and degrading others' diet
choices again. You were doing so well for a long time there...."

I'd like to remind you that it was you who came to this list describing the choices of those already here as "disgusting" and "naïve," to mention two of the adjectives you used.

I'm writing on my Blackberry while away on holiday, so this will be short. The main point seems to be that the diet of paleolithic humans and hominids was "mainly fruit," with a bit of nonviolently collected animal protein thrown in, such as a few eggs and maybe some fish and insects occasionally. In support you've offered the claim that this is how *you* prefer to eat, and you've mentioned the book _Man The Hunted_

I think we can all agree that your personal preferences, like mine, have zero evidential value. That sort of thing can be interesting, but that's about it. As for the book, well I've read it. It's quite interesting but it doesn't support your view of paleo diet, and doesn't even attempt to. The book is an attempt to counter the "bloodthirsty ape" stereotype of ealy hominid evolution. It supports the view that in the early stages of their evolution hominids were timid scavengers. It does not contest the view that hunting activites gradually increased and became a more important aspect of hominid and eventually human existence.

I have to repeat a point already made, which you've chosen to ignore. Human evolution did not occur in a tropical environment. It began during a period of global cooling when the tropical forests shrank and our ancestors were forced into the grasslands. That's where the natural selection heat was turned up, and that's what drove evolution. This was about as fruit-rich an environment as a Nebraska prairie. Imagining early humans living in some tropical paradise, picking fruits and berries year-round, is a fantasy, not reality.

You accused me of getting my information from blogs. I chose that blog because it's in fact an excellent summary of the position, *and it includes references to the scientific literature*.  The burden is now on you to find real support for your view of paleolithic hominids and humans as "mainly frugivorous" before you dismiss any other view as "disgusting" or "naïve."

Todd Moody