Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 20:49:30 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Mary wrote:
>
> > I have an apple tree, several actually, in my suburban yard, and can't
> > believe how much better the "home grown" apples taste.
> >
> > Why is this? No wax?? No sprays? or what?
>
> I had apple trees in my yard when I was a kid and noticed the
> same thing.  I think the difference is freshness.  The apples in
> the store may be shipped hundreds or thousands of miles before
> they get to the shelf, depending on the season and your location.
> This takes a toll on flavor, as well as nutrient content.
Having had to pick apples on a farm one thing I have noticed is
what goes out as a 'commercial' apple - it's the one that's not quite
ripe yet (still on the tree). Most apples that fall off the tree are
the really good tasting ones, but they are not suitable for shipping.
Instead they are used to make apple juice, cider, puree, etc.  Of course
there are those that are just about ready to fall off, but they are
a small proportion of the whole. Besides, they might be the ones to
spoil during shipping and get discarded before they get to the consumer.

Ilya