From:
Xenu's Sister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 19:32:58 -0500
One of the great joys of Neanderthin is that
fruit is allowed. Unfortunately I too find that
I have to limit myself or I'll go over the edge.
Like the day I brought home 10 Kiwis. I had
never had Kiwi before and had no idea if I'd
like them, but they were on sale and I figured
I'd give it a go. I ate one. Oh my! I ate another.
Kiwis *are* good, aren't they? I ended up
eating 8 of the 10. I cut up one to throw in
the dehydrator as an experiment, and the
last one is still in my fridge. I'm afraid to eat
it because it might send me on another binge.

I've also binged on honeydew, cantaloupe,
watermelon, and peaches, and have had to quit
buying them. I figure I got the taste of them
out of my system and can do without until I
reach goal.

One problem (for undisciplined me) with fresh
fruits is that I feel I have to eat them all in a
short amount of time before they go bad. Now
I'm sticking strictly to frozen fruits with no sugar
added. Compared to fresh fruit, frozen is fairly
blah, but that helps me keep myself under
control. I eat about a half cup of mixed berries
a night, and I eat them immediately after consuming
a large protein/fat meal. Sometimes I eat them
right out of the freezer (I know, I'm weird), sometimes
I put the cup into the microwave and nuke them
for a few minutes to get hot fruit "compote" and
sometimes I thaw them out enough to toss in the
blender with lots of ice cubes, a bit of water and
a few drops of Stevia to make myself a thick fruit
shake.

Now, the only fruit ruling my life is the olive. I hate
green olives, but I like black olives. However, it's
*olive oil* that I'm consuming like a madman. I cook or
sautee just about EVERYTHING in olive oil; steaks,
burgers, eggs, mushrooms, veggies, garlic, chicken,
even fish. Before I started Neanderthin I had had a
small bottle of olive oil in the pantry for a couple of
years. I used vegetable oil, sesame oil and butter
for everything. Now I find myself buying olive oil
in the big 1 gallon cans and filling up the bottle
over and over again. I thank the heavens that
olive oil is allowed on this diet, otherwise I don't
think I could have stuck with it, not having anything
else to use to sautee.

(However, I must admit that I still don't quite
understand why olive oil is allowed while
Sesame oil and vegetable oils are not. Anyone?)

Vickie