From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:23:49 -0500
Paul Sand wrote:

> I can see that Atkins proponents start to learn from the mainstream
> nutrition experts how to deal with the crisis situations.

On the contrary, I believe Atkins knows more about nutrition than your
average "mainstream nutrition expert", and tells in his writings how to
handle the temporary electrolyte imbalance that can be caused by going
low-carb. Losing water when going low-carb is not supposed to be a
matter of becoming dehydrated, but rather losing the abnormal amount of
water that insulin was causing your kidneys to retain on the high-carb
diet. Some individuals may need some electrolyte supplementation while
their system adjusts to the new regime, but most don't, and his program
is not killing people. There are many millions following his plan
safely. And
actually, the article didn't say the girl was on the Atkins diet
specifically, just mentioned Atkins as an example of a low-carb diet.