From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:50:49 -0800
> From:    Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Coffee substitutes?
>
>   Why do you need tea or coffee at all?

I don't *need* coffee. No one does. But some of us
enjoy the robust, woodsy flavor of coffee. Yes, it is
an acquired taste. But once you acquire it, most
substitutes pale in comparison. I'm sure there are
foods you may enjoy and even love that I would turn my
nose up at.

> From:    Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
>
> try roasted chicoree roots. or acorns

Acorns? That's an interesting idea. I'm not quite sure
how they would be prepared....

> From:    matesz <[log in to unmask]>
>
> We used to make a brew from roasted dandelion and
> roasted chicory

Another mention of chicory. I've seen  it, but I've
not tried it. Is chicory a "weed" type plant?

> PS  You could try coconut milk if you like(d) cafe
> au lait! :-)

Sorry, but coconut is one of those foods that makes me
gag (taste and texture), and the milk merely reminds
me of how much I dislike coconut. But it's not a
problem, since I gave up "foo foo" coffee drinks a
long, long time ago. Good suggestion, though, for
those who do like "additives" in their coffee.