From:
Philip Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:04:37 -0400
On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 07:23:24 -0400, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>A most important change in nutrition took place only 40k years back, not
>determined by genetics, but by *cultural changes*.

William Calvin ( http://faculty.washington.edu/wcalvin/ ),
a neuroscientist, discusses in many places throughout his work the
*ability to throw* being a key driver for advantage in human
evolution.

I don't think we were throwing things at plants :-).

 "A good case can be made for hunting as the most important
  hominid dietary source, simply because of the reliance in
  marginal climates upon meat. That's because margins are more
  important than population centers. Selection pressures are harsher
  in marginal climates, so change is more likely to be made by natural
  selection biasing the population towards those with important traits
  such as the ability to stalk and aim and throw."

http://faculty.washington.edu/wcalvin/bk3/bk3day9.htm

http://faculty.washington.edu/wcalvin/bk3/bk3day10.htm

Philip Thrift
"Paleofitness"