From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 12:28:28 -0400
Amadeus wrote:
> I was a red spotted one too, for many years.
> It changed only at the age of 24 or so, when I went vegetarian.
> Hmm that would contradict my w-3 ratio thought - I didn't know anything
> about w-3/6 oils.
> But the  AA input stopped at the time.

This is interesting but as you point out, contradicts the w3/w6 ratio as
being a cause of acne.

I recall that larger amounts of testosterone levels increase acne. Acne does
seem to be a worse problem during puberty.

Amadeus, perhaps you simply got a bit older, as people get older (past their
early twenties) anecdotally I would observe that in general acne diminishes
greatly.

Doctors used to say that eating too much chocolate/junk food caused more
acne, then the prevailing medical "wisdom" changed so that acne was not
caused by diet at all, supposedly.

Possible culprits:
1. too much SFA
2. too much MUFA
3. too much w6 PUFA and too little w3
4. too much meat
5. chocolate and perhaps other New World foods such as tomatoes, eggplants,
potatoes
6. hydrogenated fat

I vote #3, with #5 and #6 runners-up but have no real basis for this. Most
young people today each too much hydrogenated fat and potatoes and too much
w6, so it is hard to separate it all out.

Any studies??

--Richard